Re: serial device forwarding with conserver ?

Bryan Stansell bryan@conserver.com
Wed, 23 Nov 2005 12:25:39 -0800 (PST)

conserver probably won't help you.  there are programs like ser2net and
sredird that will take a serial port and allow you to access it over a
tcp connection, which sounds opposite of what you'd like.  somewhere in
the back of my mind i remember seeing a package that takes a tcp
connection (to a terminal server or whatever) and presents it as a local
serial port.  that's what you want.  i can't, for the life of me, find
any reference to it, though.  i do remember terminal server vendors
providing such behavior (local serial ports that access their term
servers) - maybe that's what's confusing me.

and, then again, it would probably have to be a kernel module...which
isn't triggering any memories either.  if you don't need it to act like
a real serial port, you might be able to hack something together like
carl suggests.

Bryan