Re: serial device forwarding with conserver ?

Marc Baaden baaden@smplinux.de
Wed, 23 Nov 2005 14:51:41 -0800 (PST)

Hi,

thanks for all your suggestions.

corrigan@KiNETWORKS.com said:
>> If a /dev/pts type interface work for you, let me know and I can provide
>> further details

I think this would work. I would be interested in trying.

bryan@conserver.com said:
>> [..] i remember seeing a package that takes a tcp connection (to a terminal
>> server or whatever) and presents it as a local serial port.  that's what you
>> want. [..]

Yes, I think that's right. I found something that does work (not as nicely
and swiftly as conserver, but for my occasional use it might be sufficient).
The package is called bidilink [1]. For my case this leads to a command:

bidilink "exec:ssh server bidilink tty:/dev/ttyS0" pty:TempDevice

It works, but is a little slower than on the local machine (I had thought
that FastEthernet should be sufficient for a smooth connection of a 9600 baud
device .. ?)
An additional point is that I want to serve /dev/ttyS0 from a linux box to
a Macintosh and there seem to be slight differences (eg no /dev/ptmx on the
mac).

cpz@tuunq.com said:
>> If all you need is a device to open, you might try creating a named pipe and
>> a program  to read from the pipe and write to a process running console.

I did wonder whether a named pipe would work. Couldn't one connect the
console process directly to the pipe via some shell magic ?

Many thanks,
  Marc

[1] http://0pointer.de/lennart/projects/bidilink/

--
 Dr. Marc Baaden  - Institut de Biologie Physico-Chimique, Paris
 mailto:baaden@smplinux.de      -      http://www.baaden.ibpc.fr