Re: serial device forwarding with conserver ?

Carl Zwanzig cpz@tuunq.com
Wed, 23 Nov 2005 11:48:25 -0800 (PST)

In a flurry of recycled electrons, Marc Baaden wrote:

> I am currently trying to make a (serial) device on one machine available to a
> second machine and have started to play with conserver for this. I can connect
> to the serial port in question via console.
> Now what I'd like to do is create a local device from this, some kind of
> /dev/ttyS0_over_conserver
>
> Is this possible ?
> And how would one go about ?

It depends....

If the software really wants a serial port, then nothing else will do
(for instance, if it tries to set speed/parity/etc). If all you need
is a device to open, you might try creating a named pipe and a program
to read from the pipe and write to a process running console. A short
tcl script should do that handily.  Note in this that you don't
have any control over opening/closing the console connection because you
can't see whether the other side of the pipe is open. (I'm sure someone
will correct me on this.)

z!