Controlling a client session with Perl/Expect

Paul Waleski paul.waleski@oracle.com
Mon, 28 Nov 2005 16:11:16 -0800 (PST)

I'm trying to get a Perl script (with the Expect module installed) to control a session with the client. The username/password interaction works but everything after that (the escaped control key sequences) seem to disappear into the bit bucket. I've looked at the users Archive back to July 2002 but didn't see anything that would help. What am I doing wrong? Is there some config parameter that I've missed?
Conserver is running on Solaris 8. Conserver version 7.2.2; I know, it's old, really old, and I've requested that it be upgraded to the latest version. Will that fix my problem?

Perl version 5.6.1, Expect version 1.15
The Perl/Expect environment appears to work. I've been able to control FTP sessions with it. In trying to control a console session, the Perl/Expect script times out waiting for the "[ Enter '^EC?' for help ]" string after the username/password has been exchanged. I also tried using Perl/Telnet to do the same thing from a remote system and had a similar problem, the username/password part works but Telnet times out waiting for the "[ Enter '^EC?' for help ]" string. I turned on the Telnet logging to see what was going and the string shows up in the log but Telnet never responds to it.

Or maybe there is a better way to programmatically control a client session without using Perl? Any suggestions, ideas, help is greatly appreciated.

--
Paul.Waleski@Oracle.com  Office:(650)506-2376  Fax:(650)506-7406
Programmer Analyst - Server Technologies IT