Re: recommendations for "dumb" console servers

Rob Windsor windsor@warthog.com
Thu, 16 Feb 2012 03:11:29 GMT

Chris Ross wrote:

> On Feb 15, 2012, at 20:24 , Chris Fowler wrote:
>> On Wed, 2012-02-15 at 19:08 -0600, Rob Windsor wrote:

>>> It immediately doubles the price tag, so yeah.

>> How did you come to that conclusion?  Just go on eBay and buy old
>> stuff.

>   Some people want/need to buy "new" equipment.  In this economy,
>   it's nice to be able to buy things off of eBay, and I do that for
>   myself personally, but a lot of companies have requirements that
>   things are bought through channels, and from businesses, etc etc.
>   His conclusion is likely based simply on looking at new equipment
>   from suppliers.  And an understandable likelihood.  Not very many
>   people are making "dumb" or "simple" anything these days.

dingdingding.

I already have two (or more, depending on how far I dig) terminal servers at home for personal use, one of which is a Cisco 2511RJ.  ;)  (this is also an answer to Chris Fowler's comment later in this thread)

This is for work.  We're not buying out-of-production gear.  (I love my job)

Primarily, we need serial access to network gear at remote sites for times when they "go off the reservation".  We had a pair of ShoreTel SG90s in Ontario, Calif that were giving us grief last week, for example.

Several folks have recommended Opengear (OpenGear? opengear?) off-list, so that's where I'm leaning.

Rob++
--
pubkey: http://www.talgas.com/misc/rob_windsor-pubkey.txt
Internet: windsor@warthog.com

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance."
  -- Major General John Sedgwick