Re: Confusion on master/slave setup

Chris Riddoch chrisr@digeo.com
Mon, 17 Apr 2006 12:47:33 -0700 (PDT)

Bryan Stansell wrote:
<snip>
> basically, you just define more consoles like you've done already, but
> use a 'master' hostname that is your second console server (the one with
> the two serial ports).  that value determines whether or not conserver
> tries to manage the port - otherwise it just knows about it and
> redirects clients to the server that is the real master (based on that
> 'master' value).
>
> then distribute the conserver.cf file to both conserver hosts (either
> via a shared filesystem or any distribution command).  when a client
> connects to either conserver host, it'll either attach directly to the
> console or be redirected to the appropriate server.

Great!  That's smarter than I expected, and I now have it working
exactly the way I wanted.

By the way, all I needed to do for our non-development cygwin
environments is to compile with CFLAGS=-static, and make sure that in
addition to --with-master and --with-port, I added
--with-cffile=//fileserver/path/to/conserver.cf so that no command-line
options should be required from anyone except the terminal name.

I now have conserver.exe and console.exe in a public directory, where my
co-workers can just copy it into their local environment (or run it out
of that directory over the network, if they like) and ask me to add
their terminals to the conserver.cf when new devices are plugged in.

I also have Ruby on Rails set up to provide a web-based front end to a
system of 'expect'-like scripts that run on the master server (in fact,
they're also Ruby) so that for an increasing number of tasks, people
won't even have to bring up 'console' at all.

Thanks for the suggestions!

--
     Chris Riddoch
epistemological humility