ALOM (BREAK Requested - Access Denied) (Was: LISA 2005 attendees?)

Bill Sommerfeld sommerfeld@sun.com
Mon, 21 Nov 2005 08:34:03 -0800 (PST)

On Mon, 2005-11-21 at 11:17, John Stoffel wrote:
> I'm using the ALOM port at the hookin from my Avocent CPS16, which is
> controlled by conserver.

Just to be sure we're talking about the same thing:

You've got a serial cable between the Avocent and the port marked SERIAL
MGT on the back of the V210, and nothing plugged into the NET MGT port?

Unfortunately, my V210's are a few hundred miles away from me at the
moment and I have them all hooked up through the NET MGT port.  (they
arrived when we were short on terminal server ports, so using the ALOM
as a one-port TS made a lot of sense at the time...)

>   I just get:
>
> 	   [halt sent]
>
> 	   BREAK Requested - Access Denied
>
> When I try to send a break.  I need to do '#.' to get to the sc>
> prompt where I can do a 'break -y' and the 'console' to get back to
> the PROM level, etc.

I have not seen that, but I've only really used the NET MGT connection.

Different accounts on the ALOM can have different permissions and I
belive sending a break can be denied to an ALOM account.  Did you
explicitly log in or are you just using the default login you get on the
serial port?

>     sc> showsc
>     Advanced Lights Out Manager v1.5.1

That's actually newer than the bits I'm currently running (1.4).

						- Bill