Re: break sequence during Sun host boot up stage

Phil Dibowitz phil@usc.edu
Mon, 26 Jul 2004 14:08:41 -0700 (PDT)

On Mon, Jul 26, 2004 at 05:00:27PM -0400, Bill Sommerfeld wrote:
> > Using Ctrl-e-c-l-0 to send break works fine when Solaris machine
> > booted up to either single user or multi-user mode.  However, when
> > SunSPARC is with its booting up stage (with cursor spinning), the
> > same key stroke sequence can only not send break to it.
>
> So, my first reaction was that the problem is not that break isn't
> being sent, but rather that break isn't being received and acted on.
>
> There are windows early during POST/OBP startup when a Sun SPARC
> system simply cannot respond immediately to a break (because OBP isn't
> ready yet).  The same does not appear to be true during the OS load..
>
> Can you be specific about the hardware platform and solaris version
> you're using, and include a transcript of the boot sequence showing
> the specific points at which break isn't working for you?
>
> Also, what sort of terminal server are you using?

I experience the same problem on lots of suns late hardware, early OS I can't
get a break through conserver. I'm told sending a break from directly
connected works... but I've yet to see evidence of this -- though my
co-workers like to blame conserver. =)

--
Phil Dibowitz
Systems Architect and Administrator