Re: break sequence during Sun host boot up stage

Bill Sommerfeld sommerfeld@east.sun.com
Mon, 26 Jul 2004 14:00:28 -0700 (PDT)

> Using Ctrl-e-c-l-0 to send break works fine when Solaris machine
> booted up to either single user or multi-user mode.  However, when
> SunSPARC is with its booting up stage (with cursor spinning), the
> same key stroke sequence can only not send break to it.

So, my first reaction was that the problem is not that break isn't
being sent, but rather that break isn't being received and acted on.

There are windows early during POST/OBP startup when a Sun SPARC
system simply cannot respond immediately to a break (because OBP isn't
ready yet).  The same does not appear to be true during the OS load..

Can you be specific about the hardware platform and solaris version
you're using, and include a transcript of the boot sequence showing
the specific points at which break isn't working for you?

Also, what sort of terminal server are you using?