Re: 7.2.2 - bug in matching host names?

Bryan Stansell bryan@conserver.com
Wed, 7 Jul 2004 08:13:33 -0700 (PDT)

On Fri, Jul 02, 2004 at 02:47:50PM -0400, John Stoffel wrote:
> I personally think it's a bug, since it doens't TELL you that it's
> expanding the name.  I need to turn this feature off completely.

i'll work on getting an option so you can turn that off.  it's not hard
(at least in the 8.x.x code).  heck, if you want to strip it out, you
can look in conserver/master.c and conserver/group.c and do it...but
you'll have to dig through the code to find the relevant bits, as it
changes depending on the version.  look for '"call"' in the 8.x.x world.
look for 'substring' (master.c) and 'S_HOST' (group.c) in the 7.x.x
world.

> John> You can truncate names on the command line as long as they are
> John> not ambiguous.
>
> Bad bad bad design.  I guess I didn't realize about this feature or I
> would have complained before.  This is the type of tool which should
> force you to specify exactly which console you want, and to not try
> and guess without telling you that.

well, a whole lota people like the fact that you can shortcut the name.
so, kinda just depends on your outlook.

> Or at least asking for a confirmation.

yeah, that would be nice too.  maybe something like that can be done.

oh, and i'm certainly going to update the manpage so that it's
documented.  so, between the ability to turn it off and documenting the
behavior, that should be a good start.

Bryan