Re: 7.2.2 - bug in matching host names?

John Clear jac@panix.com
Fri, 2 Jul 2004 10:57:18 -0700 (PDT)

On Fri, Jul 02, 2004 at 12:35:14PM -0400, John Stoffel wrote:

> We just had an interesting problem this morning, when a server called
> 'orca' went down.  One of the admins tried to connect to it's console
> using conserver.  There IS an entry for another host called 'orcas',
> note the plural.  But there isn't an entry for 'orca'.  So he
> connected to the wrong system without noticing it.

I can't find it mentioned in the manpages, but this is a 'feature'.

You can truncate names on the command line as long as they are not
ambiguous.

$ console f
console: conserver: ambiguous console abbreviation, `f'
        choices are fjord, frosty, frigid, freeze, flurry, flounder, falcons, fudge, flame, flare
$ console fl
console: conserver: ambiguous console abbreviation, `fl'
        choices are flurry, flounder, flame, flare
$ console flam
[Enter `^Ec?' for help]
flame console login: [disconnect]

John