Can't get conserver to work

Pete Geenhuizen pgeenhuizen@carolina.rr.com
Sun, 25 Jan 2004 14:16:29 -0800 (PST)

I've just downloaded conserver, and compiled it on Solaris9.

I've got the daemon running, and I'm trying to get to the console of
either the local host or another Sun running Solaris 9.

The local host has a console and keyboard the remote host doesn't.

I've looked through the archives, but I'm afraid that I don't even know
where to begin to even ask the right questions, and my searches thus far
have come up empty.

The current situation is that no matter how I twist and turn I can't get
it to accept a password, not to mention that when I try to get the remote
hosts' console I'm prompted for the login password on the local host, or
is that the way it's supposed to work?

This is what I get

console -v -l pete myhost
Enter pete@myhost's password:
myhost.mydomain.com: invalid password
Enter pete@myhost's password:
myhost.mydomain.com: invalid password
Enter pete@myhost's password:
myhost.mydomain.com: invalid password
console: too many bad passwords for `myhost.mydomain.com'

console -v -l pete myremotehost
Enter pete@myhost's password:
myhost.mydomain.com: invalid password
Enter pete@myhost's password:
myhost.mydomain.com: invalid password
Enter pete@myhost's password:
myhost.mydomain.com: invalid password
console: too many bad passwords for `myhost.mydomain.com'

conserver -V
conserver: conserver.com version 8.1.0
conserver: default access type `r'
conserver: default escape sequence `^Ec'
conserver: default configuration in `/usr/local/conserver/etc/conserver.cf'
conserver: default password in `/usr/local/conserver/etc/conserver.passwd'
conserver: default logfile is `/var/log/conserver'
conserver: default pidfile is `/var/run/conserver.pid'
conserver: default limit is 16 members per group
conserver: default primary port referenced as `782'
conserver: default secondary base port referenced as `0'
conserver: options: none
conserver: built with `./configure --prefix=/usr/local/conserver
--with-port=782 --with-master=myhost.mydomain.com'

I want it to access the /etc/passwd and eventually I'll be using several
Xylogics and Cisco 2600 terminal servers.

I'm guessing the conserver.cf file is the problem, but I'm not sure.

So what's the secret to getting this to work?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thx
Pete
--
"Unencumbered by the thought process"
--1992-2000 Click and Clack presidential campaign slogan