Re: New to Conserver

Bryan Stansell bryan@conserver.com
Mon, 10 Nov 2003 15:44:09 -0800 (PST)

On Mon, Nov 10, 2003 at 04:38:23PM -0500, George Lenzer wrote:
> Hopefully I am posting in the right place.  My organization has run into

yep.

> a situation where we are looking for an alternative to the DEC
> Polycenter product to monitor consoles with our DEC 90Ms.  From what I
> gather, it looks as if Conserver may be the answer.  I've downloaded the

could be...or, should i say, hope so (dunno what Polycenter is, but
sounds promising).

> console 90aut1 {
>         master localhost;
>         type host;
>         host 10.0.1.250;
>         port 1;
> }
>
> I was unsure of what context the 'port' option was meant.  Is it the
> physical port on the 90M, or a TCP port that the 90M should be
> configured for?

it's the tcp port the 90M should be listening on.  the idea is it makes
a socket connection to 'host' on tcp/ip port 'port'.  so, looks like
you're quite close.  if you can telnet to 10.0.1.250 on a certain port
and talk to the console, you should be able to just point conserver at
it and it should work.  then you can think about the 'logfile' and
'timestamp' options.  ;-)

i hope this helped.  if there's anything i can do to help more, let me
know.  and perhaps someone on the list is using a 90M and can send you
any useful pointers.

Bryan