Re: New to Conserver

Greg Brown gregb_ka6max@hotmail.com
Tue, 11 Nov 2003 07:33:56 -0800 (PST)

George,

>From what I know about 90Ms, the console port being serial port 1 means that
status messages about loads and comm problems "print" out port 1.  In our
setup, we literally have a serial printer connected to port 1 on all 90Ms in
the field.  The printer zips out a line every time the RouteAbout router is
rebooted.  It also zips out several lines when the 90M is getting it's boot
load from the MOP or tftp server.

When I get into work today I will check on the default TCP ports associated
with each serial port.  That is what Brian was talking about.  You have to
set the "access" mode of each serial port to "remote" and either know the
default TCP port for each serial port, or assign them TCP port numbers.
That way, Conserver can attach itself to each serial port that you have
defined as a console port for each Vax or Alpha you are
monitoring/controlling.

Vaxes are very chatty things.  They will fill up the hard disk of your
Conserver machine very quickly.  Although I am using Conserver to monitor
Unix machines, I have set aside an entire disk as a /log volume just for
Conserver logs.  Also, I have a cron job that throws away all files older
than 80 days on the /log volume.

If someone else does not beat me to it, I should have the information on the
remote TCP ports to you in another email this morning.

Greg Brown
CSC, San Diego