Re: Telnet BRK, logging, conserver rocks, etc.

bryan bryan@conserver.com
Wed, 10 Apr 2002 15:19:57 -0700 (PDT)

hi there,

a quick note and question.  first, instead of having to type an escape, you
should be able to use

BREAK3=\esend break\n

if i remember right, anyway.  the man page should say for sure (i can't check
it right now), but i'm pretty sure \e will translate to an escape.

as for the question, are you using something like:

con:|telnet cisco 2002:::

or something like

con:!cisco:2002::

in your conserver.cf file?  if you're using the first, conserver is going to
fork off a telnet process (and associtate a pseudo-tty for each telnet) to
communicate with each console.  in the second form, conserver creates a tcp
connection to the port just like telnet will.  that will allow you to use the
^ecl1 sequence to send a break.  it's still good for folks to know how to set
up the '\esend brk\n' thing ('cause, who knows, some cases may need it), but
it's a lot less of an impact on your system if conserver can create the sockets
itself.

anyway, the conserver.cf manpage should explain how to set this stuff up.  just
wanted to make folks aware of the system impact.

Bryan