Followup: Conserver 7.2.1 not checking passwords

Brian Sebby sebby@anl.gov
Tue, 9 Apr 2002 16:30:42 -0700 (PDT)

On Mon, Apr 08, 2002 at 06:56:42PM -0500, Brian Sebby wrote:
> I compiled conserver 7.2.1 today on our console server, and ran into a
> problem.  While the software compiled fine, and allowed me to talk to the
> consoles with no problem, it no longer seems to be checking the password
> of the user using it.  I haven't changed the conserver.passwd file that I've
> been using for a while, and all of its entries are of the form:

I managed to solve my own problem.  I was reading through the archives of the
mailing list, and saw in a post by Scott Matott (thanks!) information about
"allowed" vs. "trusted" hosts in conserver.cf.  I discovered that my console
server had been set to "trusted" and not "allowed".  Now, what is interesting
is that it has been that way for quite a while, but apparently the version
that we had been using (6.16) still asked for passwords on trusted hosts.
The software is working great now, and thanks again to Bryan and the rest of
the developers for creating such a useful program.  (It was nice to be able
to just do a kill -HUP to reread the config file after I edited it. :) )

Brian

--
Brian Sebby  (sebby@anl.gov)  |  Distributed Computing Administration
Phone: +1 630.252.9935        |  Electronics and Computing Technologies