Conserver 7.2.1 not checking passwords

Brian Sebby sebby@anl.gov
Mon, 8 Apr 2002 16:56:48 -0700 (PDT)

I compiled conserver 7.2.1 today on our console server, and ran into a
problem.  While the software compiled fine, and allowed me to talk to the
consoles with no problem, it no longer seems to be checking the password
of the user using it.  I haven't changed the conserver.passwd file that I've
been using for a while, and all of its entries are of the form:

<username>:*passwd*:any

I used the following options to confire when I compiled it:

/configure --prefix=/usr/local --with-master=<our console server> --sysconfdir=/etc --with-logfile=/home/console.logs/conserver

One thing that I noticed during the configuration process were the following
lines:

checking for crypt.h... yes
checking for library containing crypt... none required

I tried explicitly telling it to use -lcrypt by trying to use the configure
option --with-PACKAGE=crypt, but that had no effect.  I also tried adding
the string -lcrypt to the LIBS line in the conserver and console Makefiles.
That didn't have any effect either.  I even tried making the conserver.passwd
files readable by any user, to no effect.

The system I am building it on is an UltraSparc 5 with an Aurora Technologies
Aries serial port expander.  As I said, the console part of it works fine -
I just want to make sure that it checks passwords.  If anyone has an idea
about what could be wrong, please let me know.

Thanks,

Brian

--
Brian Sebby  (sebby@anl.gov)  |  Distributed Computing Administration
Phone: +1 630.252.9935        |  Electronics and Computing Technologies