RE: Conserver on Cyclades ACS?

Alexander.Stade Alexander.Stade@vattenfall.com
Tue, 25 Sep 2012 14:02:45 GMT

I re-read your e-mail and saw that you're suggesting that a port of conserver to ACS has been done. Do you have any notes or info on this?

Sincerely,

-Alex
From: Zonker [consoleteam@gmail.com]
Sent: Monday, September 24, 2012 6:00 PM
To: Stade Alexander (FICIH)
Cc: users@conserver.com
Subject: Re: Conserver on Cyclades ACS?

It can be (has been) done, but it's not an optimal solution, mainly due to insufficient on-board storage. You can try to write log messages out to a syslog host, but that defeats the "all in a box" idea. You would be relying on your network to get UDP traffic through intact (is it on a separate management network?)

For an ACS-16, you may not have a lot of log traffic, and you might be able to get away with storing data overnight, or over weekends, and using cron to ship the data elsewhere for longer-term storage (for forensic data, etc.).

If you are evaluating the logs, and acting on them in real-time, then you usually have your log parser also on the Conserver host, which is eating more RAM on the ACS.

The ACS was much better than the TS line. Using one as a conserver itself is a challenge.

    Best regards,

       -Z-