Re: consolue -u stops, gets Connection timed out

Christopher Fowler cfowler@outpostsentinel.com
Fri, 5 Jan 2007 16:54:18 -0800 (PST)

On Fri, 2007-01-05 at 17:22 -0600, Nathan Straz wrote:
> I see something like this on my Linux server running conserver
> (8.1.14)
> every now and again.  I think I narrowed it down to when a conserver
> client is connected over a VPN connection and the VPN goes away.  It
> usually shows up as a write back to the conserver client is stuck.
> Sometimes I can ping the dead client's address and the conserver
> process
> will free up and continue.

One thing I've done and you can debate about the drawbacks is adjust my
keep alive times in the Linux kernel so that the "client" will drop
within a few minutes of a downed connection.  When I say "client" I'm
referring to my Console.pm perl module that is used by applications to
connect to remote consoles.  I don't use the official client that
often :).  Since the client can wait on read() until the keep alive
passes much like telnet adjusting those values allows it to notice a bad
VPN connection and attempt to reopen.  The VPNs _do_ go down and I need
the client to see this fast and do a new connect.