Re: consolue -u stops, gets Connection timed out

Bryan Stansell bryan@conserver.com
Fri, 5 Jan 2007 12:56:56 -0800 (PST)

On Fri, Jan 05, 2007 at 11:52:05AM -0800, Mark Wedel wrote:
>   Doing a console -u will print out a bunch of consoles, but at some points,
> stops for a bit and then prints:
>
> console.i386: connect(): 52044@192.168.9.2: Connection timed out
>
>   and then prints out the rest of the consoles.
>
>   192.168.9.2 is our master conserver server.  If 52044 is a process id, there
> is no such process on that host.

52044 is the port number that the master processes expected a
sub-process to be listening on (one that actually handles console
connections).  for whatever reason, that sub-process is either not
picking up the connection or the master process hasn't realized
something was wrong and taken it out of the list of sub-processes (many
possibilities here - bug dealing with SIGHUP, bug dealing with reaping
children, etc).  if any of the conserver processes is still lingering in
a bad state (say, you find the one that has that socket open but it's
wedged or looping), killing it off should clear things up (the master
would reap it, clean up it's list, respawn another, etc).  it would be
interesting to know if any consoles are missing from the -u output...it
could help narrow the possibilities of how it get into the broken state.

>   I realize I could probably restart the master processes, but that would
> probably result in a fair number of upset users, so just trying to figure out
> what this error is, how to fix it, and how to avoid having it happen again.

that would certainly clean things up.  if you can't find a process to
kill off, then the server probably got into a broken state because of a
bug and there's really no other choice than this.

out of curiosity, is this 8.1.14 or 8.1.15?

Bryan