Re: Cyclade TS 800 Console problem

John Hascall john@iastate.edu
Fri, 17 Aug 2007 05:46:03 -0700 (PDT)

> Hi All,
> I am new to this group and also to confguring console servers.
> We have got a Cyclade TS 800 box and we want to configure that to access the
> consoles of Sun Servers and Brocade Switches.
>
> When I try to access the console of the Sun Server which is connected to
> port 1 of the cyclade
>
> here I am using the option SOCKET SERVER
>
> After entering the user name and password I go nowhere , Same happens If I
> set the option to SOCKET SSH
>
> Do we need to install any package on the SUn server too to interact with the
> cyclade ?

No, you should not have to install any package but you may have
to turn on that port on the Sun.

We keep an actual dumb terminal (and old DEC vt220) around to
debug these sorts of things, but a laptop with a serial comm
package (we use Kermit) can also work.  When there are problems
like this it is my experience that it is the host usually -- so
the first step is to make sure that the host is set for serial
console and/or it has a terminal listener running on that port
so it accepts logins.  I, thankfully, don't have any suns to
manage but it seems like that would look something like this:

ps -ef
    root   276     1  0   Aug 02 console  0:00 /usr/lib/saf/ttymon -g -h -p dirpeople-3 console login:  -T sun -d /dev/console

which you seem to get with an entry something like this in /etc/inittab

co:234:respawn:/usr/lib/saf/ttymon -g -h -p "`uname -n` console login: " -T sun -d /dev/console -l console -m ldterm,ttcompat

Hope this helps,

John