Re: Still too much data

Chris Riddoch chrisr@digeo.com
Tue, 16 May 2006 09:30:12 -0700 (PDT)

Okay, I know it's cheesy to reply to my own posts, but I figure someone
going through the archives for this problem would want to know the answer.

My first theory was that cygwin was having issues.  But then I stumbled
on a project, for other reasons, that's modified PuTTY for use as the
terminal for Cygwin: http://gecko.gc.maricopa.edu/~medgar/puttycyg/

It *seems* that the normal DOS-box terminal that Cygwin usually works
through is more than a little broken.  Besides being annoying to resize,
and not really being a proper terminal emulator anyway, *it* seems to
have issues with data rates.

I ran this patched version of PuTTY, connected to one of my boxes,
triggered a huge spew of data, and looked back through it.  No data lost
at all!  If any of you run Cygwin, this is positively indispensable.

Of course, when run on Knoppix, conserver had no issues whatsoever.  If
only... but anyway, I learned a lot from everyone's posts about the
topic, and I believe we could still lose data for lack of proper flow
control, but I'm confident I can now describe that as someone else's
problem.  Thank you all for your help!

--
     Chris Riddoch
epistemological humility