Re: console and telnet differences?

Bryan Stansell bryan@conserver.com
Thu, 23 Mar 2006 06:59:45 -0800 (PST)

On Wed, Mar 22, 2006 at 10:31:22AM -0700, Chris Riddoch wrote:
> console can talk to a server just fine.  But when I connect with telnet
> or a ruby script I'm writing (based loosely on the Console.pm which was
> posted a while ago) things behave differently.  After the preliminaries
> (login, etc) stuff is handled and I see [Attached], from there on out,
> any data I send to the server is sent properly, and then sent on to the
> serial port... but nothing is sent to back to my client, even though
> it's logged properly.

it sounds like you aren't totally implementing the protocol used by the
client.  at a certain 8.x release, the client must send the server a
'^Ec;' command, which tells the server to start sending console output
to the client.  this was added so that the client could send various
escape sequences and read the result accurately (otherwise it could get
console output mixed in) after attaching to the console but before the
user gets to interact with it.

no, the protocol isn't fully documented.  :-(  the CallUp() routine in
console.c is where most of the "handshake" magic happens (i believe this
one thing i mentioned is really the only "gotcha" - otherwise it's
fairly straightfoward).

Bryan