console and telnet differences?

Chris Riddoch chrisr@digeo.com
Wed, 22 Mar 2006 09:29:22 -0800 (PST)

I'm trying to track down a bug somewhere.  Or maybe I just overlooked
something.

console can talk to a server just fine.  But when I connect with telnet
or a ruby script I'm writing (based loosely on the Console.pm which was
posted a while ago) things behave differently.  After the preliminaries
(login, etc) stuff is handled and I see [Attached], from there on out,
any data I send to the server is sent properly, and then sent on to the
serial port... but nothing is sent to back to my client, even though
it's logged properly.

In case I'm not explaining it well, maybe a picture will do.  With
console, the whole thing works.  With telnet, B doesn't work.

        +->--A-->--+             +-->--C-->--+
Telnet--+          |--conserver--|           |--/dev/ttyS1

console's Interact() function seems to do something very different from
telnet.

I posted about this a couple weeks ago, and still haven't figured out
what's different about console that makes it work, when it doesn't with
telnet or a script.

Any suggestions?

--
     Chris Riddoch