Max number of consoles that can be supported with one conserver?

Travis Campbell travis.campbell@amd.com
Fri, 30 Jun 2006 13:18:43 -0700 (PDT)

Hello,

What's the realistic maximum number of consoles that one conserver
installation can support from one system?

Right now, I have four systems running conserver 8.1.13.  The largest system
is configured to managed about 3500 connections to cyclades terminal
servers.  The problem we're encountering is that whenever we have to
modify the config and send conserver a -HUP, the system load shoots up
to over 200, and conserver becomes unusable for the next 10 minutes until
the load has dropped.  This is extremely disruptive to people who are
actively working on an individual console because it locks up until
the load drops down to something normal.

The hardware isn't an issue:  it's a four-core opteron system with 8GB of
RAM, so it's pretty beefy.

Travis
--
travis.campbell@amd.com    |  "In  theory, there is  no difference between
Sr. CAD Systems Engineer   |  theory and practice.  In practice there is."