Re: Solaris 10 & bundled openssl

Chris Ross cross+conserver@distal.com
Fri, 30 Jun 2006 09:07:24 -0700 (PDT)

On Jun 29, 2006, at 11:47 PM, Bryan Stansell wrote:
i'm curious if that second "bug" might be part of the problem with
solaris 10.  perhaps, perhaps not.  but it does appear that using the
bundled openssl is just trouble.  would you be able to try a truss of
openssl and see if it's failing to open /dev/[u]random?

i kinda doubt it'll be that "easy", but it's interesting.  with a
different google search, you can find many more instances of folks
having issues with the bundled openssl.

Much as feared, it's not that easy. :-)

open("/dev/urandom", O_RDONLY|O_NONBLOCK|O_NOCTTY) = 5
pollsys(0xFFBFF4C0, 1, 0xFFBFF558, 0x00000000)  = 1
read(5, " vEE OC915EA } @A7F2D0F4".., 32)       = 32
close(5)                                        = 0

both the client and server are able to read from /dev/urandom...

i'm not sure what the "answer" is beyond using a newer, working version.
if you'd like me to poke at a box, feel free to email me directly.

Thanks. I may well do that, just to see if I can't avoid running into
this in the future yet again. :-)

Thanks for the suggestions and your time.

- Chris