Re: Max number of consoles that can be supported with one conserver?

Bryan Stansell bryan@conserver.com
Fri, 30 Jun 2006 16:00:27 -0700 (PDT)

On Fri, Jun 30, 2006 at 03:18:00PM -0500, Travis Campbell wrote:
> What's the realistic maximum number of consoles that one conserver
> installation can support from one system?

well, the flippant answer is that you kinda already answered your own
question.  having conserver shoot the load to over 200 and be unusable
for 10 minutes makes me think there are too many on that instance.  one
thing that would help, if you haven't done so already, is use the -m
option (or --with-maxmemb configure option) to have each conserver
process manage more than just 16 consoles.  something like 64 is
probably a good start.  see if that helps things (maybe even go to 96 or
128).  it's all a balancing act.  but, if you haven't done this yet,
it'll bring the process count down by a factor of 4 and should trigger
less of a spike.

the HUP processing is certainly not ideal.  it seems to work decently
(a livable, but quite noticable, delay) on a sparc t1 with just over
1000 consoles (using --with-maxmemb=32).  that's the only hard datapoint
i have beyond yours.  with the machine you're talking about, i'd think
you *should* be able to support 3500 consoles.

i'd love to know if this helps.  if not, what is your --with-maxmemb/-m
value?  (conserver -V shows it)

Bryan