Re: Creating an Alias

Scott Michael Koch koch@cs.utk.edu
Tue, 20 Jun 2006 14:27:40 -0700 (PDT)

On Tue, Jun 20, 2006 at 04:48:29PM -0400, Kodiak Firesmith wrote:
> Hello all,
> I'm having a problem that is somewhat addressed in the FAQ, but the
> author did not go into depth on how to fix it.  I need to create and
> alias, as prescribed in FAQ #6:
>
> 6) What does "console: gethostbyname: console: host lookup error"
>     mean (or something close to that)?
>
>     When the console command was compiled, it was told to use the
>     hostname "console" (what came after gethostbyname:) as the master
>     conserver host.  You'll need to either reconfigure with the
>     appropriate name of your conserver host (--with-master=<name>) or
>     add an alias of "console".  In most cases, adding an alias is my
>     suggestion.
>
> I would like to know how and where to make this alias.

The --with-master option specifies the DNS hostname of your master console
server. So if you do not specify that option, it will look for a machine
with the hostname 'console'. So you will need to create a DNS alias(i.e. a
CNAME) to point the name 'console' at the hostname of your console server.

-Scott

Scott Koch
CS Undergraduate & UTKCS System Administrator
865-974-3840 / koch@cs.utk.edu
http://www.cs.utk.edu/~koch