Re: Upgrading from version 7 to version 8.

Bryan Stansell bryan@conserver.com
Thu, 8 Jun 2006 16:16:44 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, Jun 08, 2006 at 03:53:38PM -0700, Phillip Pacheco wrote:
> I am about to upgrade from conserver version 7.1.3 to 8.1.0.  I have a
> pre-compiled package of Conserver 8 for Sun Solaris.

you should really use 8.1.14...there were a LOT of bug fixes.  using
that is, well, daring (knowing what i know now - at the time, of course,
it was great!).

> I would like to know, is there a tool available to automagically convert
> the conserver.cf file from the 7x format to the 8x format?

there is a 'convert' program built alongside the conserver binary.  if
you have a pre-compiled version, hopefully it was bundled in.  there are
instructions in the distribution that talk about it and how to use it.

> I have a fairly large conserver network here, what are the implications
> / considerations for upgrading one server at a time?

the only problem is the 'console' commands talking to the two versions.
you really need to use the new 'console' command when talking to the new
server.  you can certainly upgrade each instance, one after the other,
and during that time users might have issues (but there are ways to work
around that with the -M 'console' option, etc).  but when you're done,
you should have a nice unified world.

> If I am to make a temporary situation where I have 2 separate networks,
> is it a problem/possible to have 1 Cyclades console server be accessible
> by 2 separate console networks?

if you mean have one version of conserver talk to half of the cyclades
and another version talk to the other half, it's no problem.  if that's
not it...i'm not sure what you mean.

the details about how your conserver installs are set up, where the
console command is run, whether or not you have a distributed
conserver.cf file or many individual ones, etc all impact how easy or
difficult it will be.  aside from, perhaps, a global upgrade where work
schedules conflicts might arise, the technical parts should be
relatively straightforward.

hopefully that helps a bit.  if you want to talk in more detail, feel
free to email me directly with any specific concerns.

Bryan