Re: suggestions

Christopher Fowler cfowler@outpostsentinel.com
Tue, 27 Sep 2005 11:10:45 -0700 (PDT)

On Tue, 2005-09-27 at 13:54 -0400, John Stoffel wrote:

> I've tried getting a USB-to-serial convertor to work with a RH FC3 box
> to talk to a Palm IIIx serial hotsync cradle, but I couldn't make it
> work at all.  Very frustrating.

I've got about 5 different models of USB->Serial adapters and have had
numerous problems.  Some _only_ do 9600,N,8,1 some seem to take forever
to respond and transfers are slow.  Some don't transfer at all.  I don't
think anyone produces a real single adapter with a real UART.

I think that this 8 port thing might actually work.  It does not seem
designed for the Winbloze crowd.

Nothing ever will beat a real serial port.  eBay is a great place to get
some of these used boards even PCI ones and they typically last a very
long time.  I originally bought a Comtrol 8RJ PCI for $30.