suggestions

seller jax sellerjax@gmail.com
Fri, 23 Sep 2005 07:50:07 -0700 (PDT)

Hi all,
Looking for your suggestions on a project.

Need :  An out of band management solution for misc routers and firewalls in a rack.

My solution :
1, Install fedora core 4 on a p3 class machine with X
2, Purchase 2 of these 8 port usb to serial box (http://www.usbgear.com/8XDB9-USB.html)
3, Install the drivers for the usb device so linux detects all 16 ports as serial 0 through 17
4, Install pppd on fedora so I can dial into it and launch X on my desktop using Exceed as if I am local to the box.
5, Install conserver and configure it to connect to all 12 different firewalls.
6, connect all 12 firewalls to the serial box.

Any suggestions, comments or "You dont need to do that !"'s

Thanks

Ethin