RE: Raritan Dominion SX Console servers.

Rich Holland holland@guidancetech.com
Wed, 9 Nov 2005 09:30:45 -0800 (PST)

On a recent flight, I happened to sit next to Larry Kraft, Digi's VP of
American Sales & Marketing.  We had a nice discussion about Digi's products
and how they address both the needs of console servers & RFID concentrators.
He was familiar with Conserver and seemed to have a decent engineering
understanding of what sysadmins need for console servers, which was
pleasantly surprising since he's in marketing and not engineering.

The last project I needed a conserver for I ended up with a Cisco 2600 that
was gathering dust in a recycle pile in the data center; for security we
just used a 192.168.x.x network from the conserver host, so the only access
to the consoles was via that host, which we were able to restrict with SSH
for direct logons, and SSL for conserver access.  It worked very well, and
you can get some cheap boxes off Ebay I'm sure.  If you're buying new, I'd
second the recommendation to evaluate the Digi CMxx series.
--
Rich Holland        (913) 645-1950        SAP Technical Consultant
print unpack("u","92G5S\=\"!A;F]T:&5R(\'!E<FP\@:&%C:V5R\"\@\`\`");