Re: Perle CS9000

lorne vaught lv@veritas.com
Tue, 6 Dec 2005 14:03:42 -0800 (PST)

>HI Gang:
>I posted a few weeks ago asking about comments on the Raritan products.
>Got enough bad news to steer away from that stuff.
>
>Now I am looking at the PERLE CS9000 console servers based on just the
>attractive price tag. Looks like it should serve as a basic console
>server and I can let conserver do all the logging, port mapping and
>stuff that it does well.
>
>Anybody out there have good or bad experience with these devices?

I've had good experience with Perle CS9024's over the last 3-4 years or so.
I currently have 15 CS9024's and 2 CS9032's running conserver7.2.7.

I encountered a bug in Perle's FW that had issues with conserver8.x.x, but
Bryan Stansell worked with Perle to correct the problem and I think we're in
good shape now.  Hopefully, in the next 2 weeks, I'll migrate our config
over to conserver8.1.12.

We converted over to perle's from digi's and microannex's that I inherited
from a previoius administrator.  I've had less HW trouble with 17 perles
than I had with 2 digi's and 4 microannex's.

Bryan reported that Perle Support/Engineering was easy to do business with, and I
have to agree.  They have a "limited" lifetime warranty, and I've used it a couple
of times.  If you send them a failed unit, they will fix/replace it for as long
as you own it.

Lorne