Re: conserver as serial portserver?

Christopher Fowler cfowler@outpostsentinel.com
Sat, 6 Nov 2004 17:36:25 -0800 (PST)

On Sat, Nov 06, 2004 at 03:42:39PM -0800, Bryan Stansell wrote:
> conserver won't do that for you.  not directly, at least.  it *is*
> listening on tcp ports, and you could connect, authenticate, ask for the
> console, etc (just like the 'console' program does) and then get
> connected (it's not a minor action, however).  but to act more like a
> terminal server, you probably really want something like ser2net
> (http://sourceforge.net/projects/ser2net/).  i haven't used it, but it
> seems pretty darn cool, and more in line with what you're looking for.
> i think there is at least one other package like ser2net out there, i
> just don't remember what it's called (or if it really exists).
>
> Bryan
>
> On Sun, Nov 07, 2004 at 12:32:08AM +0100, Frank R. Schneider wrote:
> > What I really want is to connect to the consoles on ttya and ttyb via
> > a command like "telnet localhost <port>" where port should be specific
> > for either ttya or ttyb - i.e. I want to substitute the missing annex
> > by the conserver SW.

Bryan is rught.  Conserver will not unless you add an abstraction layer on
top.  It is possible to create what we would call revtcp in the Terminal Server
world that will work with conserver.  You simply need to use pseudo tty's and
write something based on the conserver protocol.  You could even do it
simply by executing console.  You could replace the annex but you need
a multi-port IO board.  All is possible but ser2net is your best bet.

Chris