Re: Conserver with Comtrol RocketPort

nathan r. hruby nhruby@uga.edu
Wed, 18 Aug 2004 05:34:08 -0700 (PDT)

On Wed, 18 Aug 2004, Michael Redinger wrote:

nathan r. hruby wrote:
| On Tue, 17 Aug 2004, Michael Redinger wrote:
|
|> Or are there any other uPCI cards which support at least 32 Ports (1U
|> rack mounted)?
|> I know the Cyclades-Y series card, but it is only available as 32-bit
|> PCI card (not uPCI) - this means that I would not be able to put 2 of
|> them in our 1U servers.
|> (Yes, there is the Perle RIO, but the rack mount concentrators only have
|> 16 ports, and it is more expensive.)
|>

| The Ze cards (PCI only) support up to 64 ports per card, with the gotcha
| that each 16 port breakout box consumes and additional 1U and you need to
| buy an additional power supply for the 3rd and 4th breakout boxes.

Same problem as with the Y series - it is PCI only. I do not know any
modern 1U server where you can use 2 PCI cards (2 uPCI are ok).

I don't know what uPCI us. I figured that if you wanted (2) 32 port cards, (1) 64 port PCI card might fit the bill as well, as everything still has a PCI slot (granted, they are getting a bit harder to find :)

In the end, it's whatever you want :)

| FWIW, I'm happy with my Ze's as well as my TS's.  What particular problems
| have you had?

Well, I did not have any particular problems - it's just that a solution
using a standard Linux server and console seems much better ...
The TS are slow (especially the ssh connections) and too expensive.
I had to write some (very strange) scripts to get a functionality
similar to a "normal" Linux box (eg. for log rotation) and it lacks many
standard tools (I do not want to have to cross-compile every little
utility myself).

Yah. Understood. I love conserver. Our TS's, for the most part, are at remote sites that we just don't feel like setting up a whole extra box with a serial port or 3... The TS's are a good fit for those situations.

Conserver also seems much better regarding the core console
functionality and it seems easier to manage. Ever tried to find out to
which of your 5 console servers a particular host is attached?

Yeah, all the time: console -i | grep $consoleName :)

You know you can use conserver with your current TS's, right?

-n
nathan hruby <nhruby@uga.edu>
uga enterprise information technology services
production systems support
metaphysically wrinkle-free