SSH between Conserver host and MRV In-Reach terminal servers

Greg Brown gregb_ka6max@hotmail.com
Fri, 30 Apr 2004 09:48:35 -0700 (PDT)

Dear group,

I have been using Conserver within a private network. However, there is a new requirement to monitor a remote console on an outside network, so I am going to use a MRV In-Reach LX-4000 series terminal server with SSH. I am currently using Conserver 7.2.7 with very good results (but know I'll eventually move to 8.1.x when forced to!)

I am looking for the correct syntax to make SSH2 connections to an SSH terminal server, like the MRV IR LX-4000. A search of the Conserver mail list archive yeilded this good information:
--------------
David Masem masemd@bnl.gov
Mon, 18 Nov 2002 04:51:38 -0800 (PST)
We have a Cyclades terminal server that is using ssh only and if you use the following command syntax:
ssh -t -2 user_name:ts_port@term.server.name
ie. # ssh -t -2 root:7001@terminalserver.dns.name

Set your pslave.conf to ssh_socket for all.protocol.

- Dave

I am guessing the conserver.cf line for an SSH terminal server should look like this:

testconsole:|ssh -t -2 root:7002@mrv1:&:1hab

... if 7002 is the port number for port 2 on terminal server mrv1, and root is the user (should probably be a non-privileged account) specified for ssh2 logins to mrv1.

Am I close? Is anyone doing this now?

Thanks!

Greg Brown
CSC San Diego Data Center