Re: Weird problem with conserver-8.0.3

Bryan Stansell bryan@conserver.com
Fri, 10 Oct 2003 08:39:06 -0700 (PDT)

On Fri, Oct 10, 2003 at 10:19:56AM +0200, Rolf Petter Halle wrote:
> After upgrading to conserver-8.0.3 from 7.2.2, we've experienced a
> couple of strange problems.

sorry about that.  :-(

> The first connection to "host1.domain.name" after starting conserver
> takes quite a long time to succeed. The next connection appears normal
> (fast).

how many consoles are you managing, and are there any messages appearing
in the conserver logs?  if there are hundreds/thousands of consoles, it
will take a bit for things to start up, but i would guessed that the
startup time for 8.x.x would always be faster than 7.x.x.  something
that might be useful (to help track down the problem) is the output from
'console -DD host.domain.name' when it exhibits the problem.  it
(should) help determine at what stage things hang.  and seeing it's
progress might help you see what it's doing.

> The real problem is that the next time I try to connect to another
> console in the same console group (controlled by the same conserver),
> I end up with the previous host, unless I use the full console name.

yikes.  there's a bug!  yep...i'm able to do that with mine too.
there's a relatively simple fix, and i should have it for everyone
very soon.  i actually have a handful of simple fixes that fix bugs like
this that i think i'll just release as 8.0.4 "very soon now".  (i always
like being able to just download a new tarball instead of having to
apply a set of patches to the latest release of a package, so we'll use
up some release numbers)

thanks for making me aware of this, and if you can either send the
'console -DD' output or take a look at it yourself and find the seconds
that have the big delays and share that with me, that would be great.

Bryan