RE: Sun RSC console

Gobbo, Carl (CCL) CGobbo@carnival.com
Tue, 12 Feb 2002 05:08:26 -0800 (PST)

But you would need to have a login and password for the RSC port.  Then pass
the commands for console.  I just have to find the time to write a script
that will connect and pass the correct commands to the rsc.

Example:
telnet somehost-rsc
Connected to somehost-rsc
Escape character is '^]'.

RSC version 2.1 (somehost-rsc)

Please login: conuser
Please Enter password:

rsc> console

Carl

-----Original Message-----
From: Trevor Fiatal [mailto:trevor@seven.com]
Sent: Sunday, February 10, 2002 4:23 AM
To: Gobbo, Carl (CCL)
Cc: users@conserver.com
Subject: Re: Sun RSC console

"Gobbo, Carl (CCL)" wrote:

> Currently I have configured a few portmasters connected to our serial
ports
> with conserver controlling our consoles.  We have been recently expanding
> and upgrading to Sun 280R systems in our Data Center.  They all come with
> the RSC port that allows remote console access.  I like the added features
> of the RSC port over serial, but I don't like how it logs.  I would also
> like to keep a consistent face on how to connect to all of our servers.
>
> Rather then connecting up more servers to the portmaster (we are almost at
> the point of needing yet another one), I would like to let conserver use
the
> RSC network port.  Does anyone have some of these configurations?

This one is remarkably easy, actually.  If you think of the RSC card as a
single-port terminal server on tcp/23, you get something like this in your
config file:

somehost:!somehost-rsc@conserver-host:23:&.log:10m

You need a DNS entry for 'somehost-rsc' mapping to the IP of the RSC card.
Everything else should be obvious.

Hope this helps.

-Trevor

--