reconnecting to servers

Bryan Stansell bryan@conserver.com
Sat, 15 Dec 2001 12:43:43 -0800

The problem with using a sleep() in the code is that the process does
just that - it sleeps.  Each process is managing 16 consoles (by
default) and if it sleeps, all activity for those 16 consoles and
anyone connected to any of those consoles stops for the length of the
sleep().  So, just putting a sleep in there doesn't work well.  There
is a timer that goes off every minute that's used to produce the
timestamps in the logfiles.  It should be possible to use that
mechanism, but, again, I haven't put much thought into the impact of
inserting code there either.

So, yep, should be possible.  Hmm...maybe it would be as simple as
putting it in the timer loop.  I guess the only other bit I'd like to
see is a counter of auto-retries and if that hits two or three, it
stops trying to reconnect.  But, that should be easy as well.
Hmm...I'm feeling inspired...  :-)

Bryan