reconnecting to servers

Bryan Stansell bryan@conserver.com
Sat, 15 Dec 2001 01:16:09 -0800

On Fri, Dec 14, 2001 at 07:18:30PM -0000, Glenn Grimes wrote:
> I was wondering if anyone has reverted to the automatic reconnection and if
> so do they have a patch file that I could use as I would like/need conserver
> to log what is going on during the boot process etc.

I'm hearing more and more about this issue.  I'd really like to find a
nice way for conserver to try and reopen the lines once or maybe twice
and then fallback to shutting things down, but I haven't put enough
thought into the code.  For those that would like to get the old
behavior back (well, something close to the old behavior), look at line
799 of conserver/group.c.  You'll see:

                /*ConsInit(pCEServing, &rinit, 0); */
                ConsDown(pCEServing, &rinit);

Just comment out the ConsDown and uncomment the ConsInit...

                ConsInit(pCEServing, &rinit, 0);
                /*ConsDown(pCEServing, &rinit);*/

I'm beginning to believe that the ConsInit is the right thing to do and
that the number of folks experiencing the random high load/respawn
problem is very small compared to the number of folks that would
benefit from automatically reconnecting on a disconnect.

Bryan