Re: How to make cisco terminal server serve unconnected consoles gracefully?

Bryan Stansell bryan@conserver.com
Thu, 26 Apr 2001 15:54:19 -0700 (PDT)

Yep, it's a problem.  I don't have any great ideas as to how to avoid it
either.  All I have to (potentially) offer is a script that will rsh to the
terminal server and clear the lines for you.  It's something an acquaintance of
mine wrote and I believe the logic is that it does a 'console -u', looks for
downed consoles, does a 'clear line <blah>' via rsh and then (maybe) sends a
SIGUSR1 to 're-up' all downed consoles.  It's something that could be run
occasionally, I suppose.  Or, if I can't get a copy of it, the logic is at
least there for someone to write a quick shell script (I'd love to put it in
the contrib directory in the distribution).  So, not much help, but maybe a
work-around.  If anyone has good cisco knowledge on how to avoid the issue,
that would be wonderful, but I have faith in my cisco experts and they came up
with the above logic, so I kinda doubt there's much of a choice (unless, of
course, the most recent IOS provides something).

Good luck!

Bryan