Re: reread config

Bryan Stansell bryan@conserver.com
Thu, 26 Apr 2001 15:10:55 -0700 (PDT)

I don't know if anyone else has tried, but I've definately thought about it for
quite a while.  As you've seen, it's not easy.  What's really a bummer is that
there's a statically allocated array that holds all the really interesting
stuff.  So, each child will have to re-read the configuration file or there
needs to be some way for them to receive "updates" of sorts or told to not
manage certain consoles or whatever.  See, the real question is, if someone
adds a console to a .cf file somewhere in the middle, everything gets shifted.
The processes, if spawned newly, would each manage a new console and lose one
as well (each get a set in the order of the .cf file).  Those connected to
consoles have TCP connections with particular child processes.  Do you drop all
connections and have things re-read and have the children know what group
they're supposed to manage or do you feed a message to the children
saying "don't manage this any more" and "manage this now" or do you spawn a new
child for the newly added consoles and let the new child control all the new
consoles.  It's kind of a horrid problem.

If you really want to attempt it (and I think it would be wonderful), I'd love
to know what ideas you have (and maybe the list in general) so that we can all
punch holes in any ideas...it's something that I think requires a whole lot of
thought, because of the underlying architecture.  One thought is that
underlying architecture needs to just change, so that this is easier.  I wish I
had some basic ideas on how to improve things, but I haven't had a chance to
think about anything but the pitfalls...hence my paragraph above.  Anyway, good
luck, and please keep at least me informed...it's a challenge I'd love to see
conquered (and helping with the idea/planning phase is something I'd love to
do).

Bryan