Re: license change?

Bryan Stansell bryan@conserver.com
Thu, 4 Jul 2019 08:20:09 +0000 (UTC)

Well, surprisingly, this did come up before, and the INSTALL file has my notes from back in 2003, apparently:

        The Debian folks have conserver distributed with the package
        names of conserver-client and conserver-server.  They are in
        the distribution "sid" and the "non-free" part (because the
        Ohio State license doesn't explicitly allow for modification to
        the code, even though it's totally implied and the intention of
        the author - I've even got proof in email!  Oh well, can't
        blame the Debian folks for being cautious - they've been burned
        before, apparently).

So, it’s more the lack of explicitly stating the code can be modified.  And, as it says, I had (probably still have, somewhere) an email from the author clarifying, but I’m not sure how we’d be able to get the license officially updated.  Many chunks of the original code are still there, so I don’t believe it can be ignored.  I really think the phrasing was just an oversight (and decades of modified code being out there says something, though I doubt it means anything legally).  Anyone even know who’d be responsible for this type of thing there?

Bryan