license change?

Paul Wise pabs3@bonedaddy.net
Wed, 3 Jul 2019 09:44:18 +0000 (UTC)

Hi folks,

The Debian package of conserver is in the non-free section. It appears
that this is because of the advertising clause of the license of the
Ohio State University copyright of parts of conserver.

It would be great to have conserver under FSF/OSI approved and DFSG
compatible licenses so that we could have conserver in Debian main.

Has the Ohio State University owned code been rewritten since 1998?

Is it possible that the Ohio State University would consider
relicensing their conserver code? I note that they have used BSD
licenses in other open source code they have released.

Is anyone willing to contact Ohio State University about this?

https://sources.debian.org/src/nfdump/1.6.17-1/bin/ft2nfdump.c/?hl=8#L8
https://sources.debian.org/src/argus-clients/1:3.0.8.2-3/include/argus/cflowd.h/?hl=2#L2
https://sources.debian.org/src/flow-tools/1:0.68-12.5/lib/ftmap.c/?hl=2#L2

--