Re: what is normal conserver hang during reconfig

Chris Fowler cfowler@outpostsentinel.com
Wed, 19 Oct 2016 04:16:12 GMT

From: "Bryan Stansell via users" <users@conserver.com>
To: users@conserver.com
Sent: Tuesday, October 18, 2016 11:39:19 PM
Subject: Re: what is normal conserver hang during reconfig

With that in mind, how many consoles are each child managing?  The compile time default can be seen with a "conserver -V", but it can be overridden with -m.  I'm honestly not sure if having more or less would be better or even change things (more processes would use more cores, but also "slam" the system with that many things reading and processing the config).

Conserver tries very hard to be multiplex across all the consoles, even when bringing up and tearing down things.  The reread of the config puts all that on hold, so it probably has to do with that.

One issue I've seen before is the magnitude of DNS lookups done when a config is loaded.  It all depends on the config, of course, but you could end up generating a lot of requests.  Maybe it doesn't apply in your environment, but it can be an unexpected source of trouble.
Does a HUP close and open consoles?  Does a HUP open consoles that are down?   If it si going after consoles that are down and blocking that could be what is going on.

On a local device I can manage 100 consoles with ease.  Just a couple serial, the rest are programs or log file tails.

Chris

Chris