Re: add keepalives as an options to the console tool

Chris Fowler cfowler@outpostsentinel.com
Thu, 1 May 2014 21:35:15 GMT

On 05/01/2014 05:26 PM, Bryan Stansell wrote:
My knowledge on any keepalive "tuning" is minimal.  But, looking at tcp(7) on a linux host, it looks like there are TCP options like TCP_KEEPIDLE that allow you to override the system-level settings, but they are linux specific and it says portable code should not use these options.

So, as far as I understood things (and still do), there's no generic way to adjust timings.  Obviously, it *could* be a linux-specific feature, but that seems non-ideal.  Maybe a console<->conserver keepalive would be best (akin to openssh "server alive" messages)...

If anyone wants to educate me on tuning keepalives (in a portable way), I'm all ears... ;-)

I'll be thinking about things...
echo 300 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_keepalive_time
echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_keepalive_probes

This adjusts it for the server. How important is keeping the connection alive? When you are only receiving from the remote target then it is very important.

Chris