Re: add keepalives as an options to the console tool

Denis Hainsworth denis@alumni.brandeis.edu
Thu, 1 May 2014 19:02:19 GMT

On Thu, May 01, 2014 at 06:08:37AM -0500, Joe Greco wrote:
> > hello,
> > wanted to mention something that I think would be pretty simple to add,
> > though its clearly a rare issue.
> >
> > in our case we have several datacenters connected by vpn links.  like
> > most vpns it watches for stale sessions and clears them to keep its
> > state tables reasonably clean.  what was happening was if you were
> > working with the console tool on a device and lets say were waiting to
> > see output or just leaving the connection open for later work you would
> > often find the tcp connection between "console" and the remote
> > conserver.  this was only mildly annoying but since when do we not fix
> > the mildly annoying :)
> >
> > I took the easy way out and am using libkeepalive to send keepalives on
> > my console connections however it would be a nice to have to add a flag
> > to console to be able to set the tcp_keepalives on the ssl connections
> > it makes.
>
> Why don't you just enable keepalives globally?  On FreeBSD for example
> that's been net.inet.tcp.always_keepalive=1 for many years.

Its certainly one option but folks dont always have access to the global
options or your IT/sysadmin dept may not want to for valid/invalid
 reasons.  I always like when I can enable such things on a per program
basis.

-denis