Re: conserver/firewall

Jason White jdwhite@menelos.com
Wed, 6 Feb 2013 02:37:48 GMT

On Tuesday, February 5, 2013 at 8:09 PM, Donald Clark wrote:
On the local LAN the console/conserver are working fine. When I go
through the firewall I can see the packets landing on the server
(tcpdump) but the server sends a FIN before the connection happens. The
conserver log files are clean (don't see a connection at all) for the
external user (but I can see the connection via tcpdump. In my
conserver.cf I have a trusted 0.0.0.0/0 but is it possible that outside
connections are not being allowed? Just thought I would ask, before I go
down a path that someone else already went down.
The client can issue console -u and get the list of consoles. But when
doing console <name> the connection doesn't work. Client sees the
following error:
console: connect(): 60876@home.somedomain.com: Connection timed out

Sounds like the connections to the secondary port are being blocked by your firewall.
In addition to port 782, conserver clients will open a second connection to actually connect to the interactive console session.  You need to open a series of ports to support these connections.
If you run tcpdump on the machine you're running the console client on you'll see your client open a second connection.

Check out the "secondaryport" directive in the console.cf man page.

-Jason

--
Jason White