Re: Help: Basic setting up and requirements

Andras HORVATH andras.horvath@cern.ch
Wed, 1 Sep 2010 07:49:29 GMT

On 09/01/2010 08:31 AM, Lee Eric wrote:
> Thanks, mate. So obviously I have to use a terminal server like a
> Cyclades or a serial multiplexer. That indicates it's impossible just
> put PCs/Servers into a LAN then using conserver directly, right?

Impossible unless your PCs have a management module like an IPMI BMC or
some proprietary *LOM, as others have pointed out. Most server
motherboards these days come with a BMC, but it may need some work (new
firmware, for instance) to get it working. Try running 'ipmitool sdr'
from the host itself to see if you have one. :)

I run a large setup based on ipmitool and IPMI SOL using conserver and
no extra hardware elements (IPMI even goes through the main network
interface so we don't have a management LAN for this.)

You can find the wrapper script I use for ipmitool and config file
examples here:
http://cern.ch/ahorvath/rpms/conserver/ipmi/

HTH,

Andras