Re: Help: Basic setting up and requirements

Zonker consoleteam@gmail.com
Tue, 31 Aug 2010 15:04:43 GMT

  Hi Lee,

  Nate has offered one good configuration, which is based on a common implementation that will scale well up to very large sites. (Cheers, Nate! :-) But, the roots of Conserver allowed the conserver host to have multi-UART serial boards in the Conserver server, and that may be a cheaper model for you to start.

  You can get some more basic information from a couple older tutorials that I have posted at http://www.conserver.com/consoles/Training/published.html  Specifically, take a look at the basic tutorial from LISA 2002 (http://www.conserver.com/consoles/Training/LISA2002-T9.PDF) or the Bay-LISA talk (http://www.conserver.com/consoles/Training/BayLISA-consoles.ppt).

  Nate's reply presumes that server X and the others are all some variant of Linux/UNIX. Is that true in your example? (If servers A, B, and C are some variant of Windows, for example, the newer machines do allow some monitoring of the boot process using "serial console redirection" settings in the BIOS, and some servers (ex: HP, Dell, Rackable) have Service Processors (*LOM) which even allow you to remotely reset the server, or command the power on and off... so, Conserver can even help with Windows servers as well.)

      Best regards,

             -Z-